MENU

Today's Pet Peeve

Greedy

There you are sitting in a restaurant--it could be TGI Friday's or a nice upscale steakhouse, doesn't matter--after finishing your meal, waiting for the waitperson to come and pick up your payment. More times than not, s/he picks up the 'money folder,' looks inside, does a quick calculation in her/his head and asks, "Do you need change?" Excuse me????? So, you just assume the extra money there is for your tip? What ever happened to being gracious and allowing the customer to indicate that the money is a tip? Why can't you just say, "I'll be back with your change." and let the customer say "No need."?*

I always tip and at a minimum of 15%. Most of the time I tip far greater than that, so it just really bothers me when it is practically forced on me. I'm sorry, but tipping is a voluntary thing, that is why it is called a 'gratuity.'** I just think with a few, better chosen words, it would feel less like they are standing with their hands out and more of a 'good job' reward.

That is all.


*I KNOW the punctuation is wrong here, but it doesn't LOOK right no matter WHAT I do with it. So, this is the way it will stay. :)

**gratuity: a gift of money, over and above payment due for service (Dictionary.com)

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More