MENU

Anyone?

Has anyone had LASIK or LASEK surgery? Do you know anyone who has had it? I'm seeing my ophthalmologist in about a month and am going to ask him if I am a candidate for the surgery--and I want to find out how others feel about it. Surgery on my eyes is a very scary thought--but I think I am ready to make the move away from glasses.

I have been wearing glasses since I was in fourth grade. My eyesight is so bad that I can barely see the big 'E' on the eyechart without my glasses. Add to that my astigmatism AND the fact I have needed bifocals YEARS earlier than the normal person and you get what I deal with. The first thing I do when I wake up is put on my glasses--I can't imagine even going to the bathroom without them. Being without my glasses for a few minutes gives me a RAGING headache. While my vision has stabilized, I do need to get stronger bifocals all of the time. I suffer from eyestrain--probably due to the fact that I cannot get glasses fitted to give me perfect sight. To see perfectly, I need to look through the 'sweet spot' on my glasses--something that is easier said than done, as the 'sweet spot' is not very large. Wearing contacts would be another option for me, but with my allergies I think I would have even MORE eye irritation if I wore contacts. I realize that if I have the surgery I would STILL need to wear reading glasses, but I would gladly do that if I could see better and give up my glasses full-time.

This would be such a big step for me. The thought of losing my sight--or making it worse--just scares the hell out of me. I am such a big-time reader that I don't know WHAT I would if I couldn't read! I realize there are some risks with the surgery--as with ANY surgery--so I have a lot of thinking to do.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More