MENU

THE HIEROPHANT

In response to a couple of questions re the Hierophant I thought I would add this text.

I dragged this painting out just recently. I started it many years ago. The figure is borrowed from some Latin American ritual and the background was experimental - pouring and tipping acrylic paints, which I have just re-worked with oil pastels and paint. It is a bit of a 'transition' painting.

Reading about a painter called Lawrence Daws reminded me of the Hierophant because the authoress was suggesting that this was a 'suitable metaphor' for him as an artist. The idea of art as the conveyor of esoteric knowledge interests me and this is basically what the Hierophant is and does. The Hierophant's job is to interpret esoteric texts and present them 'responsibly' to others - which infers a warning not to misuse the power.

What is possibly more significant for me at the moment is the symbolism of the Hierophant as a call to examine one's convictions and belief systems. I have been at a bit of a crossroad lately and my recent bout of illness has brought everything sharply into focus because meaning is stripped away so easily.

Image: Acrylic/Oil on board (unfinished)

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More