MENU

creative madness

I see a distinct parallel relationship between the disempowerment of the feminine with the violation that is enacted upon ‘art’ students by art professionals/teachers and other practitioners. This is not simply a misuse of power but, in the case of the art world, a more deeply entrenched dysfunction of the academisation and intellectualisation of culture. Real personal expression is a sacred thing and has no relationship to cultural conformity.

My earlier work has been criticised by others in the art profession as ‘fantasy’ and by some as ‘weird’. This comment is often accompanied by a judgemental tone of disapproval. Of course I am fully aware of the distinction between ‘professional’ artists and those that do it for ‘therapy’. In fact much of the juggling of words and concepts for my thesis is driven by the need to stay carefully away from the 'therapeutic model.' But this manufactured deliniation is causing a powerful and destructive split. As a result I feel that a hell of a lot of the ‘academic’ art that is produced today is disconnected from its archetypal source, devoid of soul and therefore does not speak to people. That leaves the field open for a lot of ‘meaningless’ imagery that merely entertains for commercial gain and pacification of its audience.

There are, of course, those artists who maintain their integrity but I believe they are in the minority. If we look closely into the process of creativity in relation to imagination, it strikes me that there is a powerful link with ‘mental illness’. The process of going into the unconscious as a source of creative imagery is known by some, however, an even more important part of this journey that I think is relevant to the potential for psychosis, is the necessity for the artist to retrieve these images, express them and share with others.


I think that ‘psychosis’, and I am speaking from experience here, is a result of not completing this cyclical journey. If that is correct then the violation of images that are retrieved and presented is an incredibly irresponsible act. Because of this, existing within the art profession has been very difficult for
me and explains why I have been hesitant about expressing and sharing my images.

image: drawing from my Minotaur series

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More