MENU

Great Idea or FAIL?

I managed to get pregnant way before some of the newest technology became commonplace for prenatal care.  While ultrasounds are done routinely today, I only had one with my second pregnancy--and that was because they suspected a problem.  (Turned out that nothing was wrong.)  One of the big questions that expectant parents need to answer is "Do you want to know the sex of your baby?"  Personally, I thought it was rather exciting to find out after birth whether my new child was a boy or a girl--even though I "knew" they both were girls before they were born.  We didn't have the opportunity to find out the baby's gender before birth--hell, there still were people giving birth to twins and it was a surprise!

Of course, someone would figure out a way to exploit this new technology and make money.  Some expectant parents are starting to throw 'gender reveal' parties.  After the ultrasound that determines the baby's sex, the doctor will write the sex on a piece of paper and seal it in an envelope.  The parents will then take the envelope to a bakery and order a cake.  The bakery will open the envelope and use either blue or pink filling in the cake.  So, when the cake is cut into at the party, the parents and all of the guests get to find out the sex of the unborn child at the same time.  And celebrating ensues.

I guess this is kind of a cool idea, but I'm on the fence about it.  So, the question:  Is this a great idea or a great big FAIL?

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More