MENU

Gotta Love a Gimmick - The Future

So I watched Back to the Future last night, and it made me remember how the future is always so much cooler when it's imagined by people from the past. Which brought to mind, of course, the July 18th, 1998 game between the Seattle Mariners and Kansas City Royals. With sweet future uniforms.

Ken Griffey Jr. loved it, spray painting his teammates shoes silver-metallic and running around the field with his hat on backwards. But that was about all I knew about the game until I came across ESPN's Paul Lukas and his look back at the game, which led to some amazing factoids that I hadn't heard about the game. Like the fact that a robot delivered the first pitch to the mound. Or that the first pitch was then thrown by Scotty of Star Trek fame after he entered the field in a Delorean. Man I wish I had been in Seattle that day.

Curious to see more of the future? Here's some other takes on the future from all sorts of different mediums:
1. The Future of Clothing (a 1930's video predicting 2000's fashions)
2. Shopping From Home (a 1967 view of computers)
and finally
3. Conan's Predictions (In the year Two Thousanndddddd)

Enjoy the future!

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More