MENU

Breaking Away - A Bloomington, Indiana Experience


So as some of you may or may not know, I've recently moved to Bloomington, Indiana (I live like right next to the massive football stadium, or just off to the left of this picture).

Anyways, it's awesome so far. Delicious locally owned food everywhere. Hoosierdom as far as the eye can see. And most importantly, as I've found out, a hot bed of cycling.

Who knew? Certainly not me. But it's been awesome, particularly this past weekend when the town had bike races. Young adults to elderly biked all over downtown, which was completely shut down to create a mile long race rack for the bikers. The scene was amazing, especially when you consider that my girlfriend and I got to watch it while drinking $3 pitchers at Kilroy's on Kirkwood. I have to say, the only better thing than a bike race through town is a bike race through town while tipsy. And hey, after it all ended, we even found Dio on a building downtown!

So that was all well and good. But it got even better the next night, when the town screened "Breaking Away." I had never seen the movie, which stars Dennis Quaid and Daniel Stern (of Home Alone fame) and is also ranked #14 on ESPN's list of all time best sports movies (Hoosiers is #4). While the trailer to Breaking Away posted at the top of this page looks really cheesy, it's actually an amazing, hilarious, inspirational film, and I highly suggest any readers watch it if you haven't had a chance to yet.

By the way, much of the film is all about Indiana University's Little 500, an intense student bike race that involves teams of four completeing 500 grueling laps around a stadium. The event sounds amazing, but being a Bloomington transplantee of 22 days, I have yet to see it. That'll change April 23rd and 24th of 2010, and I'll be sure to post the awesome event for all of you to see when it happens. I know I can hardly wait!

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More