MENU

Charles Rogers Headed to 15 Days of Jail

Remember Charles Rogers? The ex Detroit Lion #2 overall pick of the 2003 draft? The guy who caught 2 TD passes in his debut only to break his collarbone later in the same game to knock him out for the year. The guy who then broke his collarbone again in the season debut the following year? And then battled injuries in the 2005 season, played 9 games, failed a drug test, and was done with the Lions?

Rogers was put into an extensive drug counseling program following a domestic dispute a while ago. The program included daily drug tests, nine months of searching his home for drugs whenever they wanted, and nine months of probation. First part went well, second less so, as it turned out Rogers both failed a sobriety test and was found to have faked going to AA meetings. For shame. The result? 30 days in jail, with credit for 15 days served.

Rogers' thoughts on the matter: “I’m just going to do my 10 days, get out of the court system and try to get in shape for a comeback. Am I sad about the way my life has turned out? No, because I know the strides I’ve made to take care of Charles Rogers.” He continues “Who knows? Maybe we’ll be talking in a year about me playing football again. It’s not like I’m 35. I’m only 27 with fresh legs and a lot of life and football ahead of me.”

Comeback sounds less than sure at this point, as he had some talent, but probably not nearly enough to bring him back. Then again, would you rather take a chance on a potentially hugely talented but also hugely troubled guy like Adam Jones, or a lesser felon/lesser talented guy like Rogers. To each their own, but I'd rather take my chances on the huge talent, not the guy with size who lost his speed and strength.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More