MENU

FIELD TRIP! - Eddie George's Grille 27 in Columbus, OH

In keeping with the sites name, we're going waaaay Outside the Boxscore tonight and giving you a taste of Eddie George's Grille 27. I have a friend in Columbus, OH who I visit now and then. Everytime I visit we walk past Eddie's place on the corner of 11th and High Street, but I hadn't ever been in, until yesterday's lovely dinner there. Having finally experienced the dining experience that is Eddie George's, I'll share my opinions with you!

To begin, I want to quell some misconceptions about Eddie George's. From the street and on its website, the place looks pretty fancy. Inside 27, however, the place isn't nearly as sophisticated. It's certainly clean and looks nice, and the waitstaff is dressed nice, but there are tvs everywhere (the booths even get their own little flatscreens) and the menus are more of the cheap takeout variety. A friend of my friend said this was the kind of spot you took girlfriends to, but when Eddie talks in the video about how families can eat there he is much more correct. I'm sure a huge Buckeye loving girlfriend would enjoy Eddie's, but I'd probably take her somewhere a little fancier. Regardless, just wanted to point that out for diners in the Columbus area who stay away fearing a sophisticated/high class place. Eddie's is actually a very comfortable, affordable dining experience.

The waitstaff was lovely and the food was...interesting. Lots of choices, though mostly sandwiches/salads. I was actually kind of shocked to only see 3 different cuts of steak in a football town. Of course one of them was a $44 dollar 27 ounce steak, in honor of #27 himself, which is supposed to be delicious, and so I guess that can count as a few different steaks. I really wanted to get the 27 ounce, but being a poor recent college graduate, it was sadly a little out of my price range. I also didn't get any booze, though I hear they make amazing martinis, so I regret that one, as they were affordable.

Instead, I opted for something truly...innovative? A fried meatloaf hoagie, with literally everything fried. I know the Midwest is all about frying their food but wow, I did not realize that included the bread and the meatloaf and the sauce and all. My friend got a wrap (I forget the type), which looked pretty good. The fries on the side were delicious, the hoagie was alright (some things are delicious fried, meatloaf is not really one of those things). Additionally, my friend seemed to really enjoy her wrap.

Dessert was definitely considered, but ultimately we had none. Which was a shame, as they had a fried chocolate dessert. I've had fried ice cream and I've had fried twinkies but this thing appeared to take the cake (literally). My mouth still waters thinking about the possibilities of it.

Good food, good service, and it was kind of cool to watch the 2007 homerun derby in a nice restauraunt that wasn't a chain like TGI Fridays or Chili's. The portions are solid, and we each paid under $10 for our meals, so the prices were solid as well.

So my thoughts? If you go in expecting a fancy steakhouse, or a house of memorabilia, then you will be sadly dissapointed. However, if you go in expecting good food at a good price (and little reminder of the owner himself besides the number 27 on the menus and walls), then you'll be pleasantly suprised with Eddie George's. For a start to the night, or as a night cap after a long night of drinking at the Ugly Tuna and McFadden's, Eddie George's Grille is perfect. So well done Mr. Buckeye, decent establishment.

And there you have my visit to Eddie George's Grille 27. I hope you'll try it if you're in town!

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More