MENU

it's a sick world

This drawing of mine is called Co-dependency.

A work colleague has this photocopied quotation pinned to the wall in her office: It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. I sigh with relief and sorrow every time I read it.

The well known depth psychologist James Hillman agrees: My practice tells me I can no longer distinguish clearly between neurosis of self and neurosis of world, psychopathology of self and psychopathology of world. Moreover, it tells me that to place neurosis and psychopathology solely in personal reality is a delusional repression of what is actually, realistically, being experienced.

He believes the world is sick and I agree, especially western culture. It is getting more difficult to live in it because it is getting sicker. We keep applying the same ineffective 'solutions' to 'problems'. If we are in financial crisis because of greed, waste and an economy dependant on growth, well, let's just make and spend more! Am I missing something or does that seem bloody ridiculous? What a missed opportunity...to honestly evaluate how we live, our entrenched belief systems....and create a new world economy and order. Yes, I am being naive. Only a complete meltdown might force us to do that.

Einstein said something about not being able to fix the problems of humanity by applying the same consciousness that created them. Are we ever going to wake up? We are driven by the same psychological framework that dominates the sand pit at the local creche. I really must get that T-shirt printed: Don't dump your shit on me, fuck off and get some therapy.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More