MENU

Ichiro Is A Really Weird But Also Awesome Guy

While searching YouTube for Chelsea Dagger by the Fratellis (the da, dadada, dadada, dadadadadadada song they play at sporting events), I came across an old Ichiro quote that I totally love, mostly because it's about Cleveland and I've been an Ohioan the past 5 years, but also because it's simply pure awesome. Anyways, here's the quote, about an upcoming road trip (at the time, it's from 2007) to Cleveland:

"To tell the truth, I'm not excited to go to Cleveland, but we have to. If I ever saw myself saying I'm excited going to Cleveland, I'd punch myself in the face, because I'm lying."


Amazing, no? Well then I found the website linked above, called Slate, and their article called "Parsing the Incredibly Bizarre Sayings of Ichiro Suzuki." And let me tell you, apparently some of the stuff he's said is so much weirder. Including, but not limited to:

(About Tiger Woods) "Tiger is a great golfer, but … when you say athlete, I think of Carl Lewis. When you talk about (golfers or race-car drivers), I don't want to see them run. It's the same if you were to meet a beautiful girl and go bowling. If she's an ugly bowler, you are going to be disappointed."

(After starting the season with a few multi hit games and being asked if that was surprising) "It's not surprising. At the same time, it's not that usual. It's somewhere between usual and surprising."

I never realized that Ichiro was such a strange guy. Regardless, I kept the Ichiro search up. The two videos I found aren't quite as awesome as the quotes, but they're still pretty good.

1. Ichiro's Favorite American Expression
2. A Mariner Commercial Entitled "Epidemic"

Hope you learned a little something about Ichiro today. I know I did.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More