MENU

Politically Speaking

I don't really do politics.  I find most politics/politicians petty and childish and I avoid it/them like the plague.  While I make sure I vote, I usually don't even think about who or what I'm voting for until just before the November election.  Until then, I just want to be left alone--which definitely doesn't happen.

A couple of weeks ago, I was bombarded with the fact that we are having primary elections with a front page story in our newspaper.  And the story was revisited the other day.  And frankly, I find it quite unbelievable on some level.

If Jimmy Carter decided to make another run at being president, in the state of Michigan he wouldn't be allowed to put the term 're-elect' on his posters/signs--it is against the law.*  We have a guy that is seeking office--an office he has held twice before.  He does NOT hold the office presently, but his signs read "Re-elect John Doe."  This is against the law--and the signs were 'reported.'  So, he went around and put duct tape over the 'Re' on the signs so that he would be in compliance with the law.  All of this is just absolutely ridiculous, as far as I'm concerned.  (And I'm not even sure if I would/will vote for 'John Doe.'  I believe I may NOT be one of his supporters.)  Politics and the absurd--a match made in heaven.

*I don't know if this law is for federal elections or just state/local ones.  Also, I have no idea if this is a law in every state, or not.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More