MENU

Even reading a book is not safe, Seattle Mariners pitcher injures himself reading a book


Seattle Mariners closer David Aardsma is mostly remembered as the guy whose name is alphabetically first in most baseball almanacs. Well, he can now be known as the guy who had one of the weirdest injuries of all time.

We get more news from MLB.com:

On the long list of bizarre off-the-field injuries that happen haphazardly to athletes during the course of a long season, David Aardsma's back stiffness may top them all.

It's not often a player gets hurt from reading a book.

But that's what happened to Seattle's right-handed closer, after a five-hour flight to Florida, during which he was scrunched up reading a book. The position tightened his lower back and kept him from playing in Tuesday's 4-3 win over the Rays.

Aardsma, who laughed about the injury in the clubhouse after the game, said he felt the tightness during pregame stretches. He thought back to the flight and the way he was positioned.

"It might've been just how I was sitting with my book," Aardsma said. "I don't know. I got here, I was fine. Then I started noticing it during stretches and stuff and it just sort of got me."

Yep, he injured himself reading a book. That is absolutely classic but I will say in his defense, that sitting in an akward position on a plane could defintely cause an injury.

My question is, "What book was he reading that caused this injury?" My odds is that it was "The Old Man and the Sea"

(Courtesy of the MLB.com)

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More